Monday, January 9, 2012

San Sebastian

San Sebastian.

Absolutely one of the most beautiful places I've ever been in my life! It is in the very north of Spain, pretty close to France. Candace and I flew from Madrid to Santander then took a bus from Santander to San Sebastian through Bilbao. We were right on the coast and in the beautiful, green, rolling hills of the Basque country. Our hostel in San Sebastian wasn't too nice, but luckily we didn't spend much time in it. First thing the next morning we got ready and went out to explore. We walked all the way around the main beach part of the city. Called La Concha (the shell.) On our way we stopped and had some little food here and there. We stopped at little shops and got some post cards and stuff and continued our walk on an almost perfectly clear day! The tapas in the north are better than Madrid's and have their own style, the basque call them Pinchos or Pinxos. Although we didn't expect to swim or really do any beach time, the locals were in the water! It seemed too far north but really the water was quite nice and if I had my suit I probably would have taken a little swim.

After walking all the way around the concha and through some of the town we headed up the hill on the other side of the city. We took a little trolley straight up the hill and looked off over the whole city. Breathtaking to say the least. We drank some wine and enjoyed the sunset out across the sea before making our way back to our hostel. Luckily it was warm because we didn't really factor in the tide rising as we made our way back and I definitely got my leggings a little (A LOT) wet. That night we went out with two funny french guys from our hostel and had an absolute ball! I am happy to have a leopard print scarf to always remind me of that night! Other funny thing.... we hung out with those guys from about two days and when we left we couldn't guess their names for the life of us! oops. We really weren't up there long and had to take a bus back to Santander to catch an early morning flight on Sunday. Santander was gorgeous as well but nothing like the magical city of San Sebastian!
La Concha

I <3 San Sebastian

Most of the city and our hostel behind me :)

Gotta love the feeling of the Bay of Biscay on your feetsies! 


the little train up the hill!


Just admiring the endless sea!

 Such a charming city.
 <3 Sunset <3
 PARADISE


 Pinchos

Santander


Until next time! BESOS!!

1 comment:

  1. I am from San Sebastian and I came across your blog googling a restaurant here in SS called "la vida", I am glad you loved SS, and I just wanted to let you know I enjoyed the part of your blog where you were writing about the differences between Spain and the US, specially the staring thing, soo true! It made le laugh.
    I spent many years living abroad and when I came back I noticed a lot of the things you mention, which I guess I hadnt noticed before.
    Oh and, you can get amazing steaks in Madrid and also in San Sebastian, if you are still here or visit again, order a chuleta, yummy!

    ReplyDelete